If you are not a linguist or have little understanding of how the translation process works, finding the most suitable translation services provider can be a bit of an ordeal. At Business Language Services Ltd. (BLS), we understand this and will always endeavour to make the process as smooth and seamless as possible. Established in 1990, we have gained a wealth of experience and expertise in all translation matters, so you can safely put your trust in our hands.
First of all, we are not robots! At BLS, we are all translators and linguists ourselves. What’s more, we do not use or rely upon any automated translation tool to carry out our work. We uphold the belief that translation is about conveying meaning and not simply translating something word by word. The core components that we consider essential to our translation services are language and translation experience, subject matter knowledge (essential), skill, motivation and reliability. We only work with linguists who meet these requirements and this stringent approach is integral to our ISO 9001 quality management system.
We understand that your literature represents your company abroad, so quality is paramount. BLS offers the assurance that our translation services are carried out by highly-qualified, professional translators working within their specialist subject areas into their mother tongue. This ensures that your translation will be linguistically and culturally appropriate for the market for which it is intended.
We work with all subjects and formats including website translation, technical manuals, legal contracts, marketing literature, medical and pharmaceutical texts, financial document translation, training manuals, patents, telecommunications, IT, engineering and construction, into and from all the major world languages. Our translators, who are based around the world, are carefully selected and assessed based on their qualifications and experience, and their work for BLS is constantly appraised on a periodic basis, so we will always strive to to select the most suitable linguist for your job.
Our Translation Approach
In accordance with our ISO 9001:2015 quality management system, the following explains our standard approach for handling translation projects:
- When files are received from a customer for translation, one of our Project Managers will confirm receipt and will work with the customer to ensure that any other relevant information is obtained; for example, the timescale/deadline for the translation, any customer-specific terminology, etc.
- When the above has been established, the source file will be reviewed and assessed by the Project Manager overseeing the project. The Project Manager will determine the subject matter, the length of the text for the purpose of providing a turnaround time and cost, and the file type so that any desktop publishing requirements can be considered.A translator will then be selected based on their experience in the subject matter. The translator will review the text and confirm that the subject matter is within their scope of expertise and will then confirm a delivery date. At this point, the Project Manager will send the translator all of the necessary reference material: termbases, glossaries or online resources, in addition to an order stipulating the essential details of the project. All of our external linguists have signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and a strict confidentiality agreement; our customers can be completely confident that the documents provided to us for translation will be treated securely and confidentially. We are also able to store any documents that are sent to us in an encrypted folder on our server, and we have systems in place to ensure that any documents we send out to our linguists are encrypted and secure in transit.
- The translator then undertakes the translation. Throughout this process, the Project Manager and translator remain in close contact. Any linguistic or content queries will be referred efficiently to the client, as necessary, and this will be done by the Project Manager on behalf of the translator.
- The translator will deliver the translation to the Project Manager by email at the time and date previously agreed. The Project Manager will then ensure that all specific instructions provided have been followed, after which both the source and target files will be sent to the proofreader. Proofreading is only ever undertaken by linguists who work in that specific language pair. During this stage, a rigorous review of the translation is carried out. The accuracy, clarity and readability of the translation are checked, not just spelling, grammar and formatting. The proofreader also receives any reference material or resources that were given to the translator. If the proofreader has any queries for the translators, the Project Manager relays them, and the translator and proofreader work together to find the best possible solution.
- Once all changes have been implemented, the Project Manager will then conduct a final quality review, ensuring that spelling and grammar have been checked and that all formatting requirements have been met. At this point, any previously discussed desktop publishing requirements will take place.
- The translation will then be sent back to the customer, as agreed, either by email or in hard copy format should a certified translation be required.
This multi-faceted approach has been the key to the quality of our translation work since the company was founded in 1990.
High-Quality Editing and Proofreading
Poor quality translations can result in misunderstanding, delays, lost business and even lawsuits. A simple grammatical error could change the entire meaning of a sentence. Even the very best translators in the world are human beings, and therefore prone to error.
For these very reasons, we insist that a native, trained proofreader reviews the translated document and ensures that the translated content is a true and accurate rendition to the source document. What’s more, fluency and style are also assessed, again something that only humans are truly equipped to do. The proofreading stage is an essential component of the whole translation process at Business Language Services Ltd. Working with our project managers, our proofreaders painstakingly review and edit the content of the translation work we carry out for our customers.
At BLS, all of our translations are proofread by a second, independent linguist. We assign a Project Manager to each assignment, who will liaise with you and our translators to ensure that your requirements are fully understood and that the job is delivered on time and to your full satisfaction. BLS works with all of the main file types and software formats and we invest in the latest translation memory tools. This enables us to maintain consistency throughout any document and ensure that client-specific glossaries and terminology are followed.
Don’t leave your business to chance (or to a machine) – BLS is here to help you.
Please feel free to get in touch with us by email at email@example.com or feel free to call us on 00 (44) 2920 667 666